Mixing it up this time around, I thought I would use my next read as my inspiration for good weather relaxation in the back yard. I just came in from checking on my (remarkably still alive) tomato plants and the air feels amazing! My favorite thing about these fall-feeling nights is that we still get the summer sun late into the evening, but no heat and little humidity. I can feel my yard breathing a sigh of relief along with me after all those 110 degree days.
While I would usually lounge outside discussing the week with my boyfriend over a glass or two of wine, sometimes he is working and it’s just me and the collies hanging out. I love reading outside and while at a recent dinner party was recommended The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society when my new acquaintance discovered I loved historical fiction too.
Since I’ve yet to read the book, I based my inspirational finds on how I would like to feel while reading. So my idea is a quick and easy mini retreat for any day of the week. I love to take advantage of the long lasting sun, so the less preparation to enjoy, the better. All of the non-weather friendly items can stack in a basket, ready to grab on the way out the door (with the exception of cold beverages of course).
1., 2. and 3. Orkney American Sham from Rough Linen, Vintage Blossom Persimmon Pillow from DwellStudio, and Flowering Gum and Lace Fans Cushion Cover from Ink & Spindle – Lots of pillows for comfort and support in the hammock in colors to coordinate with my patio.
4. Thatched Market Umbrella from World Market – Adds to my mini-vacation vibe and helps to control the late western sun rays if needed.
5. Galleria Folding Table from Arboria – Holds my refreshments and snacks (and my book when I start to daydream). Also does double duty as extra table space when having guests over.
6. The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society – The inspiration. Hopefully a new read that will take me back in time to learn the trials and successes of those in another generation.
7. Works Special Edition Quilt in Bone/Snow from Denyse Schmidt – I picture the women of the potato peel society as those that might appreciate the warmth and comfort offered from a stitched quilt. Also, the simplicity of this quilt couldn’t be passed up, perfect cotton softness for making the hammock extra comfy.
9. Wicker Stationery from Orange Beautiful – I often use any piece of paper handy to mark my book pages, but think a note card like this would be just the thing for jotting down thoughts and ideas while reading outside. I wouldn’t have to remember to find my notebook, or more likely have to run back inside after getting settled in my hammock!
10. My own simple smoothie. My current summer favorite is to combine 1/2 cup rice milk, one large handful of baby spinach, 1/2 frozen banana and 1 frozen white peach. Blend until smooth and enjoy, tastes just like an Orange Julius!
11. Moroccan Tea Glasses from Viva Terra – Just couldn’t resist.
I’m sure as the sun slips away I’ll stay put and admire my magical decorations from earlier this year. Those string lights distract me from the lack of stars in our city sky. Although I do have a wonderful view of the moon and the local Driller’s fireworks from my backyard, so I’m certainly not complaining!