Since my parents are at the farm these days they took over my grandpa’s garden this year. And boy is it going crazy! They are pulling in tons of yellow squash, zucchini, onions, and more. I love this time of year.
For dinner I decided to throw together a quick and easy pasta dish using some of the farm fresh veggies and I thought I would share!
Bucatini (or your favorite pasta), Olive Oil, Garlic, Yellow Squash, Zucchini, Mushrooms, Onion, Basil, Red Pepper Flakes, Salt
Chop all vegetables to similar bite sized pieces
In a skillet heat a drizzle of olive oil, garlic, and red pepper flakes
Add squash, zucchini, and onions and saute a couple of minutes
I like to saute the veggies at a high temp so that they get a nice golden color without getting mushy. While cooking at a high heat be sure and keep those veggies moving pretty regularly so they don’t burn! Once the mushrooms start to get some color add salt to taste.
While your pasta and veggies are finishing up chop your basil. A great and easy way to cop the basil is to roll all the leaves into what looks like a basil “cigar”.
Slice the basil “cigar” into thin strips.
Once pasta is finished cooking, drain and drizzle with olive oil.
Combine pasta and veggies and then sprinkle with your fresh basil and Parmesan cheese.
This dish would be great served with grilled chicken or shrimp on top, or as a side dish. This type of recipe is easy to adjust with whatever veggies you have on hand….or with whatever veggies you like. You can substitute away and it would still be delicious!
Summer Squash Pasta (this recipe is for approximately 2 servings)
4 oz Bucatini pasta (you can sub with spaghetti or other pastas)
1/2 onion, chopped
1/2 yellow squash, chopped
1/4 (of a large) zucchini, chopped
1/2 cup mushrooms, sliced
olive oil (drizzle for saute and a drizzle over pasta)
2 cloves garlic, minced
red pepper flakes to taste
salt to taste
1. Cook pasta, be sure and salt the pasta water a lot! Trust me, it makes a difference!
2. Chop veggies into similar bite sized pieces
3. Drizzle pan with olive oil, add garlic and red pepper flakes and allow to cook until fragrant
4. Add squash, zucchini, and onions and saute for a couple of minutes
5. Add mushrooms, once the mushrooms start to get some color add salt to taste. Cook the veggies at a high heat to get the great color without becoming mushy
6. Chop basil
7. Drain pasta and drizzle with olive oil
8. Combine pasta and veggies, sprinkle with basil and Parmesan cheese