Images from Cinema Treasures (you should check out all the photos here)
If you’re a Tulsan, you probably remember the day the Admiral Twin burned down. It was really wild and saddening to see this over 5-stories tall wooden movie screen burn to the ground. It stood tall just off I-244 my whole life and I have many fond memories of my parents taking us to view a double header. I remember the different cars we had over the years and I think my favorite way of taking in a movie at the drive-in is in the back of a pickup truck.
With it’s grand re-opening scheduled on June 15th, I’m hoping to enjoy a movie soon at the brand new Admiral Twin so I thought I’d share my version of necessities for a successful night.
1. Flared Caraz Dress from Anthropologie: I think you’ve got to get into the spirit of the Drive-In. Once a place where you could see and be seen, you’ll want to feel cute and comfortable. A loose, soft dress is perfect for staying cool on a warm summer’s night. Just wear some slip-on flats that you can easily shed to relax in the truck.
2. Denise Schmidt Works Quilt: Jersey Stripes in Chartreuse: Grab your favorite quilt or two to create some comfy layers. You never know when a cool breeze might pick up, or you can cover up the kids when they fall asleep early (we never made it through the second movie).
3. Pavilion Pillow in Green from Pier One: I like to borrow the outdoor pillows so I don’t have to worry so much about them. This is where watching from the bed of the pickup gets great. Build up a soft landing place at the front of the bed against the cab and around the corners for maximum comfort.
4. Sunbrella Pacific Blue Loveseat Cushion from Lowe’s: Be sure to take any bench cushions. These will insure an enjoyable sit so you can make the duration of the movies without a second thought.
5. Bug Be Gone Spray from The Peaceful Housewife: This is the best kind of bug spray, it smells great and you don’t have to worry too much if you’ve gotten it on your hands.
6. Wet Ones from Walgreens: Be sure to include some sort of wipes to make cleaning sticky hands and spills easy. Sometimes its a trek to the nearest concession and I like to keep it as easy as possible.
7. Magellan Outdoors Camping Mat: Raid the camping gear for your first layer of defense against the truck bed. These little air mattresses are quick and easy to get in place and put away at the end of the evening.
8. Organic Crystallized Ginger from Abe’s Market: Last but not least, a little ginger would be the perfect late night nibble; especially after enjoying the fruits of the movie concession.
Image from Pinball Rebel
Here’s a reminder of what our much loved landmark was looking like before the fire. I’m excited to attend the movies soon with the new facilities. It’s been fun watching the steel structure rise and I’m thankful Tulsa still has this treasure. Hope to see you there soon!